NEW HARFORD DEMOCRATIC CLUB
MINUTES LAST MEETING.
NEXT MEETING DECEMBER 5 , 2018
COME AND JOIN US!
**CRITIQUE OF 2018 ELECTIONS
BY GEORGE HARRISON**
COME AND JOIN US!
LOCATION AND TIME
ABERDEEN HOLIDAY INN, 1007 BEARDS HILL ROAD, ABERDEEN, MARYLAND
THE FIRST WEDNESDAY OF EACH MONTH AT 7 P.M.
Minutes of the New Harford Democratic Club
Wednesday, October 4, 2018 at the Aberdeen Holiday Inn Express
President Steve Johnson, opened the meeting at 7:02 pm
Announced the death of Mary Delany James” daughter and the suspension of her campaign. He then lead everyone in a moment of silence. He then led the group in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Steve asked those present to stand and identify themselves.
Treasurer George Harrison submitted the financial report. Report received unanimous approval.
He then asked for a motion to approve the minutes from the September meeting. Minutes approved unanimously with no comment.
Delane Lewis of Together We Will-a non-partisan organization
• Has been full speed past year
• Focus on racial justice and education issues
o School to prison pipeline
o Conflict resolution [e.g., “N-word” incident at B.A.H.S.]
• Recognized by Harford county
• NAACP award last year
• New HCPS Superintendant out on a “Listening tour” now. We are actively involved in this and school board meetings
o HCPS not supportive of mental health counseling; advising staff too small
o Next board candidate forum 10/14
• Valerie Twanmoh guest speaker on ACLU and immigration Issues/ICE Lawsuit
• Looking at Harford Sherriff’s Office and ICE MOU; what’s our benefit?
• Presentation at Edgewood Library-“How to stay safe when stopped by police” Teen focus; all welcome-10/15
• Next School to Prison Pipeline meeting at HCC 11/15
• Supporting “Womens’ March on D.C. 10/5
• Our philosophy – “Stand Up for What’s Right”
Winnie Roche announced she is at Bulle Rock Club 10/7
MSEA is out canvassing Harford County with flyers endorsing several Democrat candidates
Jean Salvatore running for County Council district “D”
• At Darlington Apple Festival
• Long time county resident; started at APG 1981, worked 30+ years
• HCC Adjunct Prof. now
• Served on DCC; now sees need for new blood on council, which he sees as a rubber stamp now.
• Opposed by Chad Shrodes so a tough race. Limited Campaign.
• Need to reframe “Rain Tax” issues.
Rally for Rt. 40 10/11; 5:30 at Loafers in Aberdeen
MSEA Mixer in Havre de Grace; meet at 4:30 at American Legion; 5:30 at pavilion for Steve Johnson
Bridgette Johnson-Council District E
• Still getting new endorsements
• Good engagement from non-affiliated voters on doors
Art Helton then reported on the club work for the upcoming 2018 election cycle
• We to get out the vote this year; off cycle years have low turnout, 10-15% low
• Produced generic VOTE Democrat GOTV flyer targeted to low-turnout D’s and I’s
• Target is District 34 and Council Districts A, C, E and some of B
• 2 mailings-early and late
• Moved/seconded to spend all funds on this effort – Approved unanimously
Council District B Candidate-Sujinire Ashinski (sic)
• No support from current incumbent, so I decided to run
• A former teacher forced to home school due to lack of support for special needs children
• Schools get only “Maintenance of Effort” level of funds-not good enough
• HCPS systematically underfunds education; losing teachers to surrounding counties/states
• Only 36% of full operating budget goes to Education [46% of General Fund] – Most counties at 50% or more
• First ”D” candidate in last 3 cycles so a tough race
Chris Boardman, candidate for County Sherriff
• Sensible gun control
• 9 dead in county from shootings in recent past – too many
• Need new thing vis-à-vis gun violence
• Suggest every gun owner pay $100/yr to offset $30 billion annual cost of gun violence nationally
Meeting adjourned at 8:29pm.
Submitted by Secretary Barney Michel